Essential Guide To Catching Mahi Mahi: Best Lures And Techniques
Are you ready to tackle the challenge of catching mahi mahi? This prized game fish is highly sought after by anglers for its impressive speed and acrobatic jumps. But in order to successfully catch this elusive species, you’ll need to have a solid understanding of their habitat, behavior, and characteristics.
In this essential guide to catching mahi mahi, we’ll provide you with the best lures and techniques for bringing in these beautiful fish. From identifying prime fishing locations to mastering trolling techniques, we’ll cover everything you need to know in order to reel in your next or first big catch.
So grab your gear and get ready for an exciting adventure on the water!
- Mahi mahi are highly migratory fish found in tropical and subtropical waters that prefer warm temperatures and are often found near floating objects.
- There are a variety of lures that are effective for catching mahi mahi, including Ocean Cat Trolling Lure and Blue Fly Fish Saltwater Trolling Fishing Lures.
- Knowing the habitat and behavior of mahi mahi is important for choosing the right lure and fishing technique, such as trolling with live baits or artificial lures.
- Responsible angling techniques, such as catch and release and proper fish handling, are crucial in preserving fish populations and protecting marine ecosystems for future generations.
Understanding Mahi Mahi: Habitat, Behavior, and Characteristics
If you want to catch mahi mahi, it’s important to understand their habitat, behavior, and unique characteristics.
Mahi mahi are highly migratory fish that can be found in tropical and subtropical waters around the world. They prefer areas with warm water temperatures ranging from 70°F to 85°F and can be found near floating objects like seaweed, logs, or debris.
Mahi mahi have a unique feeding habit where they hunt for prey near the surface of the water. They feed on small fish like sardines and anchovies but also eat squid and crustaceans.
Their reproduction cycle is year-round in warm waters with females producing up to 33 pounds of eggs per season.
Mahi mahis come in a wide range of color variations from bright greens and blues to yellows and golds depending on their age, sex, mood, or environment.
Knowing all these factors is critical for catching them successfully.
Understanding these factors makes it easier to choose the right lure for catching mahi mahi.
For more Mahi Mahi Information such as Characteristics, habitat etc, please check out our “What is a mahi mahi” Video:
10 Best Lures to Catch Mahi Mahi
Let’s cut to the chase, the meat of the article the best lures to catch mahi mahi, you should consider trying out the OCEAN CAT Saltwater Trolling Lure, Blue Fly Fish Saltwater Trolling Fishing Lures, and Capt Jay Fishing trolling Lure. These lures have been designed specifically for saltwater fishing and are known for their durability and effectiveness in attracting fish.
Additionally, Cedar Plug Trolling Fishing Lure and Kunsilane Trolling Skirt Tuna Lures are also great options that you may want to try out.
Next, We will go over the top 10 lures to catch mahi mahi.
OCEAN CAT Saltwater Trolling Lure
You’ll definitely want to add the OCEAN CAT Trolling Lure to your tackle box if you’re going after mahi-mahi. This lure is perfect for high-speed trolling, thanks to its crystal head and lead weight inside that creates a splash water flower effect. The 3D eyes and vivid movements make it look like a real fish, which is sure to attract any game fish that swim.
The OCEAN CAT Trolling Lure comes in a package of six random color rubber made chuggers lure, each with double circle hooks attached. The new head design and material changes make this trolling lure more durable, while the custom bag ensures that it can be re-used after proper cleaning and maintenance. However, it’s important to handle with care as there are several sharp hooks and corners on the lure. Keep out of reach of children.
- Color: Multi-color
- Weight: 0.95 LB
- Length: 6 inches
- Hook size: 7/0
- At least 150LB leader strength
- Crystal head with lead weight inside creates a splash waterflower effect.
- Moves vividly like real fishes.
- Double circle hooks attached ensure successful hookups.
- Handle with special care due to sharp hooks and corners.
- Random colors may not appeal to everyone’s preference.
- May not be suitable for slow trolling or casting techniques.
Blue Fly Fish Saltwater Trolling Fishing Lures
Get ready to reel in some big game fish with the Blue Fly Fish Saltwater Trolling Fishing Lures – these lures are sure to attract any marlin, sailfish, tuna, or kingfish swimming in your area! They come in a pack of five pieces per bag (1 big flying fish and 4 small flying fishes) along with one pc 9/0 stainless steel circle hook.
Made with premium grade rubber and high carbon steel saltwater string fishing hooks, these lures are strong, durable, and anti-corrosion. The flying fishes daisy chain made by soft plastic with 3D eyes looks almost like real fish swimming under water. Its bright color shining under sunshine gets all the focus from other fish, helping anglers attract a bigger catch.
These Blue Fly Fish Saltwater Trolling Fishing Lures also come with a custom bag that’s easy to carry and assort – it has a special design for waterproofing on the front and draining off saltwater on the back. If you’re looking for an effective lure that looks great on your spread and attracts all kinds of fish with its action, then these Blue Fly Fish Saltwater Trolling Fishing Lures are definitely worth trying out.
- Product name: Blue Fly Fish Saltwater Trolling Fishing Lures
- Brand: OCEAN CAT
- Weight: 266g (9.4oz)
- Target species: Marlin, Sailfish, Tuna, Mackeral, Kingfish, Ahi, Dolphinfish, Barracuda, Wahoo, and any game fish that swims
- Material: Premium grade rubber and high carbon steel saltwater string fishing hooks
- Made with strong materials that are built to last.
- Attracts various types of big game fish effectively.
- Comes in a custom bag that’s easy to carry and assort.
- The hook may look like it’s not exposed enough.
- Some users have reported not catching anything after a few tries with these lures.
- May not be suitable for those who are looking to purchase a lure for decorative purposes only.
Capt Jay Fishing trolling Lure
Looking for a reliable and effective trolling lure to catch Tuna, Marlin, Sailfish, kingfish, Wahoo, Mahi-Mahi, Dolphinfish and other game fish? Look no further than the Capt Jay Fishing Trolling Lure – trusted by pro fishing charters captains based in Key West.
This local company has designed a high-quality product that is perfect for anglers looking to improve their chances of catching one of these sought-after species. The package includes 6 or 8 pieces of 9-inch trolling lures in 6 mixed colors.
The Capt Jay Fishing Trolling Lure is well-constructed with sharp hooks that are sure to attract the attention of any game fish you’re after. It can be trolled at speeds from 8 knots up to 12 knots without any issues.
Anglers have found this lure to be their go-to choice for Dorado, Tuna and other species including Marlin. However, it’s important to handle this product with care due to its sharp hooks. Be careful not to get hooked when handling the lure as it could cause injury.
- Brand: Capt Jay Fishing
- Target Species: Tuna
- Number of Pieces: 6 or 8
- Size: 9 inches
- Color: Mixed colors
- Package Dimensions: 10.16 x 5.59 x 3.07 inches
- Package Weight: 0.77 Kilograms
- Well-designed and constructed
- Can be trolled at a variety of speeds
- Attractive color options available
- Trusted by pro fishing charters captains
- Sharp hooks require careful handling
- May not be suitable for all types of fish
- Higher price point compared to some competitors
Cedar Plug Trolling Fishing Lure
If you’re on the hunt for a classic trolling lure that’s sure to attract Tuna, Marlin, and other predatory pelagic fish, the Cedar Plug Fishing Lure by Bimini Lures is a top contender. Made from natural cedar wood and fully rigged with 150 LB MONO leader, this streamline-designed lure is perfect for trolling fishing. Its black color makes it a great choice for low light conditions, while its design protects the hook from getting covered with weeds.
The Cedar Plug Fishing Lure by Bimini Lures is not only effective in attracting Tuna and Marlin but also Dolphin (Mahi Mahi), Wahoo, Sailfish, and any predatory pelagic fish in the ocean. It’s recommended for use with a daisy chain of 4-5 teaser birds to make it more attractive to the target species. However, some users have reported that hooks may pull from crimps on some cedar plugs.
- Product Name: Cedar Plug Fishing Lure
- Brand: Bimini Lures
- Material: Cedar Wood
- Style: Classic
- Target Species: Tuna
- Number of Pieces: 3
- Color: Black
- Fully Rigged with 150 LB MONO Leader
- Effective in attracting Tuna and other predatory pelagic fish
- Made from natural cedar wood
- Comes fully rigged with 150 LB MONO leader
- Streamline design protects hook from getting covered with weeds
- Hooks may pull from crimps on some cedar plugs
- Bag provided for storage may be too small for the cedar plugs
Kunsilane Trolling Skirt Tuna Lures
With their beautiful 3D eyes and shining skirts, the Kunsilane Trolling Skirt Tuna Lures are a sight for sore eyes and an irresistible temptation for any predatory pelagic fish. These offshore trolling lures are heavy duty rigged with a 180LB leader and an 8/0 stainless steel hook, making them perfect for catching Mahi Mahi, Tuna, Sailfish, Mackerel, Kingfish, Ahi, Dolphinfish, Barracuda and many more.
The Kunsilane Trolling Skirt Tuna Lures come in five colors that suit any condition. Whether you’re fishing in clear waters or murky ones, these lures will help you catch your desired fish.
The Kunsilane Trolling Skirt Tuna Lures are fully rigged and ready to attach to your coastlock swivel. They sink quickly and are easy to carry when fishing. With their resin head (not plastic) and shining skirts, these lures look like real baitfish in the water. The total weight of each lure is 60g/pc, which makes it easy to cast long distances. If you’re looking for a reliable offshore trolling lure that can catch different types of pelagic fish species, then get yourself the Kunsilane Trolling Skirt Tuna Lure.
- Brand: Kunsilane
- Size: 8 inches
- Material: Resin Head & Shining Skirts
- Item Weight: 60 Grams
- Style: Tuna Lures
- Number of Pieces: 5
- Target Species: Pelagic Fish Species
- Heavy Duty Rigged Leader Hook
- Beautifully designed with a resin head & shining skirt
- Comes in five colors that suit any condition
- Fully rigged & ready to attach to your coastlock swivel
- Easy to carry when fishing and sinks quickly
- May not be suitable for catching larger fish species
- Some users have reported that the hooks can sometimes become dull after a few uses
- The price may be considered high compared to other offshore trolling lures.
Bimini Lures Jet Head Octopus Skirts Trolling Lure Set
If you’re looking to catch Mahi Mahi, the Bimini Lures Jet Head Octopus Skirts Trolling Lure Set is a great option. These lures are expertly designed to attract Tuna, Dolphin, Wahoo, Marlin, Sailfish and any predatory pelagic fish in the ocean! The metal head with heavy-duty skirt protects the hook from getting covered with weeds so you can fish longer. Plus, they come fully rigged and ready to use.
One of the best things about these lures is that they are equally effective at slower rates as well as trolling up to 20 knots. This means that no matter what your preferred fishing style is, you can still catch Mahi Mahi using these lures. Additionally, they are carefully designed to target big offshore Pelagic fish which makes them a must-have for anyone serious about their fishing game.
- Product Name: Bimini Lures Jet Head Octopus Skirts Trolling Lure Set
- Color: Black
- Brand: Bimini Lures
- Material: Metal
- Style: Modern
- Number of Pieces: 6
- Target Species: Tuna
- Item Package Dimensions: 7 x 7 x 1.02 inches
- Package Weight: 0.23 Kilograms
- ASIN: B09QV69RX3
- Equally effective at slow rates and high speeds.
- Comes fully rigged and ready to use.
- Carefully designed to target big offshore Pelagic fish.
- Crimps on the line may be poorly done resulting in loss of lures during testing.
- May not be suitable for all types of fish species or fishing styles.
- Some users reported issues with durability after prolonged use.
Captain’s Choice Fully Rigged Chuggers
Get your hands on Captains Choice Fully Rigged Chuggers and experience the thrill of offshore big game saltwater fishing with ease. These lures are designed to catch a variety of species such as sailfish, tuna, marlin, jacks, barracuda, mackerel and wahoo.
These chuggers are fully rigged with 8/0 Mustad 3407DT hooks and come in five different colors including blue and clear with glitter, green with glitter, and solid pink. The 150-pound strength monofilament leader with chafing loop protectors ensures that you have enough strength to pull in even the biggest fish.
The Captains Choice Fully Rigged Chuggers are perfect for trolling techniques and are great for catching those elusive mahi-mahi. Unlike most lures, these chuggers catch less sargassum weed which means more time spent fishing and less time cleaning your lure.
With a 100% money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied within 30 days of purchase, there’s no reason not to try out these innovative lures on your next fishing trip.
- Product Name: Captains Choice Fully Rigged Chuggers
- ASIN: B0BLFHDVVS
- Included Components: Fully rigged lure with leader, chugger, and hooks
- Fishing Line Type: 150-pound monofilament leader
- Lure colors: blue and clear with glitter, green with glitter, and solid pink
- Great for offshore big game saltwater fishing
- Catch less sargassum weed than most lures
- Designed to catch a variety of species such as sailfish, tuna, marlin, jacks, barracuda, mackerel and wahoo.
- Only comes in five different colors.
- May not be suitable for smaller fish species.
- Warranty only lasts for 30 days.
MagBay Lures Dorado Dank Jetted
Experience the exotic and exceptional with MagBay Lures Dorado Dank Jetted, a top-of-the-line lure perfect for pelagic fish like marlin and mahi-mahi. This lure features 4 powerful jets that create a trail of bubbles in the water, mimicking the natural movements of live prey and enticing even the most elusive of game fish.
Measuring at about 13 inches in length, this lure is designed to attract larger predators such as wahoo and tuna as well. The real abalone shell head inserts add an extra layer of realism to this already impressive bait. MagBay Lures Dorado Dank Jetted comes in multiple color variations to match different fishing conditions and preferences. Its modern design and high-quality materials make it durable against wear and tear from saltwater environments, ensuring that you can use it time and time again.
This lure has great reviews from satisfied customers who have caught some impressive catches using it.
- Length: about 13 inches
- Weight: 8 ounces
- Suitable for pelagic fish such as wahoo, tuna, marlin, and dorado
- Real abalone shell head inserts
- Multiple color variations available
- Powerful jets create a realistic bubble trail to attract game fish
- Durable against saltwater environments
- Comes in multiple colors to match different fishing conditions
- Real abalone shell head inserts add an extra layer of realism
- May not be suitable for smaller species of fish
- Price may be considered higher compared to other lures on the market
- Some customers reported issues with hooks breaking easily.
Bost Tuna-Dolphin Trolling Lure Pack Mahi Mahi
You’ll love the Bost Tuna-Dolphin Trolling Lure Pack Mahi Mahi, which is a must-have for any angler looking to catch this elusive species. This pack includes 6 handmade lures that are professionally rigged with 200lb test line and high-quality skirts, all in a beautiful Bost handmade bag.
Each lure is made from unbreakable urethane resin and features an abalone shell insert, making them both durable and attractive to mahi mahi. The lures come in sizes between 8-9 inches, making them the ideal size for catching mahi mahi. The pack also includes 10 of 200lb leaders already rigged with each lure, so you can start fishing right away.
The Bost Tuna-Dolphin Trolling Lure Pack Mahi Mahi is perfect for targeting these fish as they are known to be attracted to bright colors and fast-moving lures.
- Handmade in the USA
- Professionally rigged with 200lb test line
- Made from unbreakable urethane resin
- USA made high-quality skirts
- Beautiful abalone shell insert
- Lure sizes are 8-9 inches
- All rigged with 10ft of 200lb mono and 8/0 stainless hooks
- Pack contains 6 lures: #26 Poke Jet, #27 Ahi Snack, #18 Flathead, #59 Tuna Tataki, #20 Mahi Mayhem, #60 Mini Trapper
- Includes Bost handmade bag
- Durable construction using unbreakable urethane resin.
- High-quality skirts make the lures attractive to mahi mahi.
- Comes in a beautiful Bost handmade bag.
- Already rigged with leaders for convenience.
- Includes six different types of lures for versatility.
- Pricier than other similar lure packs.
- Only includes six lures, which may not be enough for a full day of fishing.
Lobo Lures #200 Mahi-Mahi Slayer
If you’re looking for a high-quality lure that’s perfect for catching mahi-mahi, the Lobo Lures #200 Mahi-Mahi Slayer is an excellent option. This lure features a daisy chain design with 3-9 Green UV Mack Skipjack lures, 5 Glow Bird and a 12 Pelagic Magic built on a 400lb leader with chafe guard on both ends. The stinger bait also features a hook stop that holds the hook in place, while hook rigs are built in house using stainless steel southern tuna hooks mated to stainless steel cable and covered with thick shrink tube.
The fabrication process for the Lobo Lures #200 is top-notch as it is manufactured in the USA with state of the art facilities. The resin lures are hand poured and cured over a duration of 48 hours in a clean room environment. Additionally, this lure features UV refractive technology to refract UV and give the head a bright and presentable treat to Pelagics. With its signature Lobo Scalez proprietary holographic pattern, this lure will surely attract even the most elusive mahi-mahi.
- Brand: Lobo Lures
- Model: #200 Mahi-Mahi Slayer Daisy Chain
- Material: Stainless Steel, Resin
- Color: Green
- League: Fishing
- Target Species: Tuna/Mahi-Mahi
- Size/Dimensions: 144 x 1.5 x 1.5 inches
- Hand-poured resin lures ensure quality craftsmanship
- Features UV refractive technology to attract fish
- Comes prepackaged in premium lure bag for easy cleaning/drying
- High-quality rigging ensures durability
- Some may find this specific model too large/heavy
- Pricier than other options on the market
Identifying Prime Mahi Mahi Fishing Locations
First things first, let’s talk about where to find those elusive mahi mahi – head to the weed lines and current edges for your best chances of a catch. Mahi mahi are known to congregate around floating debris, and weed lines provide an ideal habitat for smaller prey fish that the mahi mahi feed on. Look for weed lines that are broken up or have thicker patches as these areas tend to attract more fish.
Weather patterns can also play a role in finding prime fishing locations for mahi mahi. Calm seas with clear waters provide excellent visibility while windy conditions can create choppy waters that push floating debris together, creating perfect hiding spots for the fish. Time of day also matters as many fishermen have found success during early morning or late afternoon when the sun isn’t too high in the sky.
Additionally, bait selection and water conditions such as temperature and salinity should be taken into consideration when searching for prime fishing locations.
As you move onto choosing the right gear for catching mahi-mahi, keep in mind these tips on identifying prime fishing locations so you can increase your chances of success on your next trip out on the water.
Choosing the Right Gear for Mahi Mahi Fishing
Get ready to reel in those beautiful mahi mahi with the right gear that’ll have you feeling like a pro fisherman. Gear selection is crucial when it comes to catching these fast and agile game fish.
For starters, you’ll need a reliable rod and reel combo that can handle the fight of a big mahi. Look for a medium-heavy or heavy action rod paired with a high-speed spinning or conventional reel. A good rule of thumb is to choose a reel with at least 300 yards of 30-40lb test line capacity.
Next up is line weight – aim for somewhere between 20-40lb test monofilament or braided line depending on your preference. You’ll want a strong but flexible line that won’t snap under pressure during an intense battle with one of these powerful fish.
Hook size is another important consideration – go for sizes ranging from 5/0 to 8/0 depending on the bait you’re using and the size of the fish you’re targeting.
Speaking of bait options, live baits such as ballyhoo, pilchards, and squid are popular choices while artificial lures like trolling feathers, jet heads, and poppers can also yield great results.
Now that you have your gear sorted out, it’s time to master trolling techniques for maximum success on your next fishing trip!
Mastering Trolling Techniques
To truly reel in those prized mahi mahi, it’s crucial to master the art of trolling with proper technique and strategy. Trolling is a fishing method where you drag lures behind your boat while cruising at slow speeds. This technique can help you cover more water and increase your chances of catching those elusive fish.
The benefits of trolling for mahi mahi are numerous, including the ability to cover large areas of water, target specific depths and structures, and trigger strikes from even the most finicky fish. However, trolling for mahi mahi comes with its own set of challenges.
One common mistake is dragging lures too quickly or too slowly, which can make them less attractive to the fish. Another challenge is choosing the right equipment such as high-quality reels that can withstand long hours on the water without breaking down. To overcome these challenges, try different techniques like changing lure colors or sizes until you find what works best for you.
Remember to pay attention to weather conditions as well since changes in wind speed or direction can affect how your lures move through the water. In mastering trolling techniques, it’s important to use the right equipment and follow tips from experienced anglers who have caught countless Mahis before you.
Once you’ve hooked one of these colorful beauties, however, knowing how to handle them properly will be just as important in ensuring a successful day out on the water.
How To Handle the Catch
Handling your prized Mahi Mahi catch is all about showing respect for the fish and ensuring that it stays fresh for your next meal.
The first step in handling your catch is to safely remove the hook from the fish’s mouth. To do this, hold the fish firmly with one hand and use a pair of pliers or a hook remover tool to carefully extract the hook. Be cautious not to damage the gills or any other internal organs while doing this.
Once you have removed the hook, it’s essential to handle the Mahi Mahi properly to minimize stress and injury. Avoid touching its eyes or gills as these are sensitive areas that can be easily damaged. Instead, hold the fish firmly but gently with both hands around its mid-section, being careful not to squeeze too hard.
If you plan on keeping your catch, place it in a cooler filled with ice immediately after catching it. However, if you plan on releasing it back into the water, make sure you follow proper catch and release techniques to ensure its survival in its natural habitat.
In conclusion, proper fish handling is crucial when catching Mahi Mahi as it shows respect for these beautiful creatures while also ensuring their survival for future generations of anglers. Next up, we’ll discuss some best practices for safely releasing your catch back into the ocean without causing harm or injury.
Catch and Release
Once you’ve hooked a Mahi Mahi, it’s important to know how to safely release it back into the water. As part of ethical fishing, conservation efforts, and sustainable practices, responsible angling means being mindful of the impact we have on marine life.
Catch and release techniques are crucial in preserving fish populations and ensuring their survival. To minimize harm to the fish during catch and release, use a de-hooking tool or pliers to remove the hook quickly and carefully. Avoid touching the gills or eyes as they’re sensitive areas that can be easily damaged.
If possible, keep the fish in the water while removing the hook or cut off the line if it’s too deep for safe removal. Once released, make sure the fish swims away strongly before resuming fishing activities. By practicing these responsible angling techniques, we can continue enjoying fishing while protecting our marine ecosystems for future generations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best time of day to catch Mahi Mahi?
For the best chance at catching mahi mahi, try trolling with topwater lures in the morning or afternoon when water temperatures are between 75-85°F. Adjust boat speed and casting depth accordingly to target schools of fish.
Can Mahi Mahi be caught using live bait?
Live bait is a great option for catching mahi mahi. Common options include small fish or squid. The best technique is slow trolling to mimic natural movement. Live bait has advantages over artificial lures, but proper rigging is key to success.
What is the average weight of a Mahi Mahi?
The average weight of a mahi mahi can vary greatly, ranging from 10 to 40 pounds. These fish have a rapid growth rate and feed on small fish, squid, and crustaceans in warm waters with depths up to 600 feet. They prefer offshore habitats with plenty of structure for shelter.
Are there any regulations or restrictions on Mahi Mahi fishing?
Before going mahi mahi fishing, make sure to check the fishing regulations in your area. Catch limits may apply and conservation efforts are important for sustainable fishing practices. Don’t forget to obtain the necessary fishing licenses before hitting the water.
What is the best way to store and transport Mahi Mahi after catching it?
To keep your Mahi Mahi fresh, you need to act fast. Start by bleeding and gutting the fish as soon as possible. Clean it carefully and store it in a cooler with plenty of ice. For long term storage, vacuum seal the fish or use other freezing techniques like flash freezing or brine freezing. Choose a cooler size that fits your needs, but don’t forget to factor in the amount of ice required for proper preservation.
Congratulations, you’ve now mastered the essential guide to catching Mahi Mahi! With a thorough understanding of their habitat, behavior, and characteristics, as well as the top 10 lures to use when fishing for them, you’re well on your way to reeling in these beautiful fish.
But it doesn’t stop there. You also know how to identify prime fishing locations and choose the right gear for the job. And let’s not forget about mastering trolling techniques and properly handling your catch.
By following this comprehensive guide, you’ll become an experienced angler capable of catching Mahi Mahi with ease.
So go out there and put your newfound knowledge into practice – who knows what other exciting catches may be waiting for you?