When it comes to Beginner Fishing Rod Setup it is essential to choose a quality fishing rod for saltwater. It is the very basic foundation to achieve fun and success in saltwater fishing.
Understand as well that saltwater rods are fitted using materials that can withstand tough fish and rough elements. They can vary in their length, power, and rod actions.
This saltwater fishing gear guide will help you enhance your style as an angler. You will also significantly understand the differences between rod actions. Thus, you can exactly purchase what you need the most.
Make sure that your gear won’t go break down on you. It should not also leave you stranded when you’ve spent your money on your destination.
All The Essential Parts of a Fishing Rod for Saltwater
Know the essential parts of the fishing rod for saltwater below.
- Handle− When you go choose the handle of your fishing rod, it will be better if you have it in a synthetic material. A lightweight cork handle is also a good option. Get a good grip to it although it is wet. The cork also actually comes in different grades.
- Reel Seat– Look for a good quality reel seat but make it sure that it is cut out properly. This enables the reel to touch the rod blank. This gives way to better transmission of the fish striking.
- Blank– Keep this in mind an essential component of the rod. This is where everything is attached to. Find this as something that is made in a variety of materials. The two choices are the graphite and fiberglass, and the combination of the two.
- Fiberglass. This is primarily used for being durable, flexible and strong. This can also withstand abuse on rough seas and boats. Novice anglers find this difficult to use as it is heavy.
- Graphite. The graphite form of rod blank is stiff. But, it is sensitive to pickups. That is why anglers like it more for the better feeling it gives out when a fish is making a strike. Many anglers like this for being performance-oriented. For once, they can identify the right fishing antics of a game fish. Once you have this already, you will know that it is extremely delicate. You really need to be careful not to add damage own the rod.
Essential Parts Continued
- Hook Keeper– This is where you place your hook upon leaving a bait look or lure attached to the rod.
- Guides– Find most of the guides these days as something made of metal and a ceramic insert. The common ones are the highly, aluminum oxide, and hardly. For better quality rods, choose only those guides that make use of stainless steel. High-end guides are made up of titanium wire. And this material is able to spring back the same with the modern eyeglasses. High-quality guides that are made of SiC provide an even smoother and better surface. Just a little friction is achieved enabling a longer cast. Also, aconite is another material that makes a perfect alternative to SiC.
Tip- The tip of the rod is found at the topmost part of the rod blank. This is so far the narrow part of the rod. Just be extra careful with it as it is prone to be damaged or broken. That is also actually if it is made of graphite material.
The ring size and the tube size are two of its dimensions. The latter can be found in the interior of the tube. This is where the topmost part of the rod blank is inserted. The ring size is also the ring guide wherein the fishing line passes through. This is commonly used for bigger rods having an even bigger size of the ring.
Saltwater Fishing Rod Length
When you want to achieve proper power and action, determine the right strength of line to use. The same is also true with the type of fishing you will do with the rod. In terms of length, the purpose of the rod is just so essential.
A longer rod increases casting distance while a shorter rod provides better leverage. When casting with 12 to about 20-pound lines, choose a 7-foot, fast, or extra fast action rod for live baits or lures.
Choose 7-foot, light to even medium rod for casting with 8 to 12-pound lines. Consider a 7 ½ footer or even longer when placing a premium on the casting distance.
A shorter rod is also a better choice for jigging or trolling. These tasks require a number of rods that measure 6 or 6 ½ feet long. Even shorter rods are needed for stand-up fishing and composite spinning.
Pick a medium-heavy and six-foot rod with that extra fast action. 50 to 100-pound lines are needed for things that are powerful and large. That’s the only way that you’ll have the upper hand on these things.
Saltwater Fishing Rod Power Factor
The power factor of the fishing rod should never be mistaken. It is even more classified by their line strengths. For heavy rods, they best accommodate lines from eighty to one-hundred thirty pound test. They are used for trolling large tuna, swordfish, and marlin. They are an essential part of the jigging and spinning rods to target school bluefin and yellowfin.
Light rods are intended for ten to twenty-pound lines. Medium rods are perfect to use for twenty to thirty-pound lines. Medium-heavy rods are great to use for thirty to fifty or even eighty-pound lines.
Understand that the power designations vary largely on the rod manufacturer, materials, and purpose (inshore, trolling, jigging, and surfing).
Saltwater Fishing Rod Action
The tip of the rod flexes or bends when there is a fish on the line. This is what is called as the rod action. The terms used by manufacturers for the rod action: heavy similar, medium or heavy, medium, and light. Some also use the terms slow, moderate, fast, and extra fast.
The bend in the rod under such a constant pressure is the rod action. If the action is a lot faster, the rod also stops bending a lot quicker. The power of the main part of the blank is then transferred.
A heavy or very fast rod bends the first 3 to 4 inches of the tip. A light or slow rod bend nearly a third of the way the rod blank.
Rod Action Bend
- Slow Action. In slow action, the rod bends all the way down. This one is better to use for crank baits and jerk baits that are easier and lighter to cast. Slow action is more flexible as it keeps the fish hooked.
- Medium Action. An even more casting capability and less sensitivity are promised by this form of action. This is perfect for certain applications like the crankbaits. The lighter action of the hook set keeps the hook in the mouth of the fish.
- Heavy Action. When you want a rod for all-around purposes, a fast or heavy action rod is a great choice to consider. This can cover almost all fishing applications. Such a balance in the sensitivity and flexibility of the rod enable you to cast most of the baits and lures. That is achieved with a good degree of accuracy. Cast heavier baits or lures through this action.
Best Saltwater Fishing Rods 2019
Below are the best saltwater fishing rods in 2019 that can be a great alternative in terms of quality and performance.
This is a telescopic fishing rod that comes in its unique design. Its varnish finishes unique feature prevents it from peeling off or cracking. It gives out an elegant and perfect shine to it.
Find the handle as long as compared to the conventional saltwater rods. That is why it sits securely in a holder.
The design evenly distributes the weight of an even heavier fish. The rod is comfortable to hold while preventing wrist and arm fatigue.
The carbon fiber is the material that the lightweight rod is made of. This can resist breaking under heavyweights. The performance of the product is one thing that makes you appreciate it more. What more, this is resistant to damaging corrosion.
Your line can glide smoothly through on retrievals and casts. This is due to the ceramic construction producing only a little friction. This is different from the rest because it can extend to about full 7-foot length.
This can also be easy for you to carry and store. You will really like it if you are just a beginner. If you are an experienced angler, this one is for you.
Daiwa Beefstick is your best choice of fishing rod for saltwater. This has been known for its performance and strength. With the use of high-quality materials, the more that you can expect it to last. Like it more because of its affordable price that can fit your budget.
This fishing rod is known for heavy action giving you the control and power to troll fish in shallow and deep water. This is limited in its flexibility which is why it is not ideal for beginners.
Moreover, this measures seven feet in length for you to make long casts. This can just be so easy for you to carry. This is even more resistant to cracking and bending under heavyweights.
If there is a fish that nibbles at the bait, you could already get an instant feel to it. You can also securely set the hook if you want to. The spinning guides ensure smooth retrieval and release. The aluminum surface also does not tear or cut the line. They are also not resistant to corrosion and rust.
The guides are also coated with various coats of an Epoxy finish. Such protection is achieved against damaging corrosion. This has already been tested by experts for durability. You’ll be more confident in deciding to choose this one.
Shakespeare Ugly Stik Bigwater
Find this fishing rod for saltwater as a durable choice. This can reel in saltwater fish and large fresh fish. This basically measures ten-feet in length that makes it able to distance casts accurately. Its heavier weight gives you the power needed to sink bait. It is worth the price for its reliable and smooth performance.
Considering its 2-piece design, you just could easily store and carry it. It can also withstand heavy pressure while being backed by the exclusive warranty of Shakespeare.
Its “Ugly Stik” tip lets you know about the slightest nibble made. You get more time to begin reeling the fish in. Another feature it has is the stainless steel hood and sturdy graphite seat. The reel won’t ever come to lose because of the seat and the hood.
Expect that it won’t break or bend easily because it is constructed durably. The graphite materials and stainless steel can resist corrosion and damaging rust. The Fuji guides promise a reliable and smooth performance. The line also flows smoothly in the retrieval and casting. Thus, you can better focus on reeling the fish in.
Shakespeare Ugly Stik Bigwater Continued
What more, the product comes with a textured and comfortable grip. These features prevent the pole from slipping out of your wet hands. The extended handle fits it securely in a holder. That way, you can fish even when positioned at the back of a boat. This is one thing you’d love more about this product.
So, what else is there to wait for? Buy the fishing rod for saltwater that can stand up the deep blue sea. With so many models and brands out there, consider looking through the ones mentioned. They are a few of those that can live up to your needs.
Enjoy an outing into the water using the best saltwater fishing rod. Determine what is right for you as a beginner or professional angler. Better to use lightweight rods that are ego-wise, and money-wise!
Frequently Asked Questions
Spinning rods, particularly among beginners, are perhaps the most common type of fishing rod. They are beginner-friendly, with light lures, make long casts, and can be very inexpensive. With a cover (bail) that can be flipped up and down, his reel is open-faced.
Rods will start at 15 bucks and go
to 500 bucks and beyond for every move.
It’s handy to know that before your hitting top-shelf specialty rods, such as ultra-lightweight finesse
rods and extra heavy game fishing rods, the big dollars don’t really come into play.
Rods can range from 4 feet to the gigantic end of 14 feet on the tiny end,
but most bass fishing rods appear to run from measured tip to butt between 6 and 8 feet.
This is the general rule of choosing rod length: shorter
rods cast shorter distances, and longer rods cast longer distances.
We hope you found value in our article and as always, do your own due diligence before making any purchases. If you enjoyed this post you may also be interested in our other post on best fishing pole for kids or you may also be interested in best fishing pole for beginners