Best Fishing Rod And Reel Combo For Beginners?
If you take a keen interest in fishing and related activities you must already be familiar with the terms of a fishing rod and reel.
First things first, it is known as a ‘fishing rod’ and not a ‘fishing pole’.
Fishing rods and reels can be really expensive depending on their types and functions.
Some fishing rods are such priced that they aren’t even worth the effort of taking them to your car.
while others in the market are so expensive.
that you’d believe if they claimed that fish itself would jump into your boat.
However, the amount you spend on a fishing rod and reel is only compensated if you often make use of it.
The costliest rod would be the one that you buy and never use.
So, if you are looking to really take that dive in the fishing sport.
there are many best fishing rod and reel combo for beginners available in the market.
that assure good quality product for something less in the original price of the individual products.
The more your rod costs, the better will be its accuracy and responsiveness.
What does a fishing rod do?
The making procedure of a fishing rod is a work of expertise and acute preciseness. The main function of a fishing rod is to release the line off the tension.
When a fish gets hooked, the rod is required to bend partially in order to take the tension off the line to avoid breaking of the line.
Exceptions to the use of such precision in the making of the rod would result into two different outcomes:
- In case the rod isn’t enough stiff, it will result in extra bending of the rod that further will result in its incapability of handling any further tension from the line and eventually something or the other will have to give way- this fish, the rod or the line.
- On the other hand if the rod you are using is too heavy, the fish that that is hooked would not be able to apply to much force and hence no tension will be transferred from the line to the rod, that leaves the line exposed with all the tension and something has to again give way, but in this case it will either be the fish or the line.
The basic terminology of a fishing rod
The knowledge of the type of tackle will aid you with the buying of the best rods to get your fishing sport started. A fishing rod consists of the following basic things that you should know about:
- Butt Cap– made out of plastic, wood, rubber or aluminum; butt caps are present over or at the end of a fishing rod. Casting rods have shorter butts while the spinning rods have comparatively longer butts. A butt cap is basically the end of a rod that you press against your stomach when fighting a fish applying much force.
- Handle or grip– Handle is obviously the part of which you hold the rod. These come in cork or foam. These are available in various lengths depending on the use of the angler.
- Pistol Grip– a type of shortest grip that helps in casting accurately.
- Ferrule– a rod that can be disassembled into two parts has a ferrule, a pint from where it can be assembled.
Other distinctive parts of a fishing rod are:
- Trigger stick
- Reel seat
- Butt guide
- Hook keeper
- Line capacity
- Stripping guide
Different types of fish rod and reel combinations
Selecting the best fishing rod and reel combo for beginners depends on the buyers’ choice of fishing.
If you are looking to go out looking forward to catching light weighted fishes, the required outfit is lightweight and vice versa.
There are different types of fishing and reel combinations available in the market:
- Spincasting- spin casting fishing rod and reel combinations are the best for the beginners and to teach children the mechanics of fishing. Spincasters have the reel above the rod. The rear of the reel consists of a button that the angler is supposed to press and hold down, in order to disengage the line. As soon as a fish gets hooked on the pickup pin it brings back the line on the spool.
- Spinning- introduced in 1948 by Mitchell Reel Company of France, the spinning reel has a basic structure of a fishing rod attached with a reel below it that requires the fisherman to manually reel once the pickup pin is engaged. It has a special anti-reverse feature that prevents the fish from letting slip or the spool reel to break.
- Ultra-light rods- ultra-light rods are usually shorter in length, are lighter in construction and have lighter lines. These types of outfits are used for catching light fishes such as bass, trout and all the other types of panfish.
- Baitcasting- baitcasting outfits are useful in many aspects of fishing and when making the use of heavy lures fishing bass. The bait casting reels are all mounted over the rod.
- Telescopic fishing rod- telescoping fishing rods, as the name suggests have telescopic mechanics included that helped mostly in surf fishing as it requires the use of long rods.
Choosing the right Fishing Rod
Not getting distracted by the various number of fishing rods available in the market, picking the best fishing rod and reel combo for beginners can be an easy task if you know the type of outfit you are looking for.
You just need answers to a few questions to filter down to the right choice of outfit matching your requirements:
- Where do you fish?
- How often do you fish?
- Fishing for freshwater fish or saltwater fish?
- Spinning or Casting?
- Sensitivity, power and your technique?
- What length rod?
- Best quality rod, handle, paint, guides, real seat?
Frequently Asked Questions:
If you’re just starting out, you might want to save yourself the time and headaches and get yourself a rod and reel combo to help you start fishing quicker.
In terms of price, fishing rods can range from about $20 to hundreds of dollars. I would suggest that you stick to the lower end of the price spectrum and search for combinations if you’re just starting out. For a better price than purchasing each component individually, Combos can include the rod and reel.
Usually, the length of a fishing rod varies from 6-12 feet, so consider the type of fishing you want to do the species you are after and your fishing climate to select a measurement for your needs. Typically, a decent length for beginner anglers is about 7 feet.
Depending on their styles and purposes, fishing rods and reels can be very costly. Some fishing rods are so costly that the effort of taking them to your car is not even worth it. The higher the cost of your rod, the greater its precision and responsiveness will be.
The most expensive rod will be the one you purchase and never use. The market has many of the best fishing rod and reel combinations available for beginners. That ensures a high quality product at the original price for anything less.
In essence, the butt cap is the end of a rod that you rub against your stomach while battling a fish with a lot of force. Although the spinning rods have comparatively longer butts, the casting rods have shorter butts.
Ultra-light rods are generally shorter in length, are lighter in nature and have lighter lines.
Check out some of our other articles recommended for beginners such as: how to tie a hook on a fishing pole or how to tie a swivel on a fishing line